Our users support our website. Therefore, we sometimes earn affiliate commissions when you click through the affiliate links on our website. Rest assured that all of our recommendations are made whole-heartedly with the intent of helping travelers like you discover the world authentically and responsibly.
Planning an itinerary to Paris and the French Riviera for your family? You can experience the best of both worlds in just 10 days with this perfect luxury travel itinerary! Paris is a vibrant city with something for everyone. Unique activities include a stroll down the Champs-Élysées, climbing the Arc de Triomphe and taking a riverboat cruise on the Seine. From high-end boutiques to local street markets, there’s plenty of shopping in Paris too!
On the other hand, the French Riviera is a popular tourist destination located on the Mediterranean coast of southeastern France. It offers the perfect counterbalance to the bustling city of Paris. Known for its mild climate, clear blue waters, lush green landscapes, and chic seaside resorts, it has a great mix of culture, art, history and natural beauty. From famous cities such as Cannes and Nice to quaint fishing villages like St-Jean-Cap-Ferrat and Eze, there’s something for every family member to explore and discover.
Families eager to get the kids outside for outdoor fun can go sailing, swimming or simply relax on the beach. And remember to sample the local gastronomy – the cuisine varies in every region of France.
Follow along, experience art, culture, history and stunning architecture, and create unforgettable memories with your loved ones in just 9 nights and 10 days. After all, your definition of a luxury family vacation is as unique as you are, and traveling internationally with children is easier then you think.
Explore Paris – The City of Lights
On this 9 night, 10-day family adventure itinerary to Paris and the French Riviera, start off in Paris by checking in to one of our favorite family-friendly hotels for 4 nights. Paris is divided into 20 distinct districts or arrondissements. Each neighborhood offers unique attractions and activities for visitors, so it’s a good idea to explore them all! The 1st arrondissement is closest to the river Seine and is home to many iconic landmarks. Tourists wanting lively nightlife should head to the 11th or 9th arrondissement, while those looking for an artsy atmosphere should check out the 18th. Districts 2-8 contain some of Paris’ oldest buildings and offer plenty of sightseeing opportunities. Be sure to choose an area close to the best cultural attractions, such as the Eiffel Tower or the Louvre and train stops. There are so many splurge worthy experiences in Paris, be sure you connect with your luxury travel advisor!
Recommended Family Hotels:
Cheval Blanc Paris offers a truly unique and personalised experience. Guests can be made to feel at home, while also experiencing luxury that exceeds all expectations. The staff are available 24/7 to provide an unparalleled level of service and attention throughout their stay. Every detail has been crafted with the guest in mind, from the exquisite décor and furnishings to the exquisite dining and sumptuous spa experiences. Every element has been carefully chosen to ensure maximum comfort and relaxation. This hotel is sure to impress you on your itinerary to Paris and the French Riviera.
The Kimpton St. Honoré, Paris, is designed to provide guests with an array of luxurious amenities and services. Located in the heart of the city just steps away from the Louvre Museum, the hotel offers easy access to some of Paris’ most treasured attractions and sites. The hotel’s rooms are spacious, stylishly appointed and feature panoramic views of Paris’ landmarks. The hotel also features two award-winning restaurants, a bar with creative cocktails and a rooftop terrace for guests to relax and take in the stunning city views.
The Grand Hotel du Palais Royal is renowned for its exceptional hospitality and service, as well as its grandeur and historical beauty. The hotel also features luxurious amenities such as a full-service spa, a restaurant serving delicious cuisine, and an outdoor terrace. Guests are welcomed with impeccable attention to detail and can enjoy modern accommodations such as soundproof rooms, air conditioning, flat screen TVs, and complimentary Wi-Fi throughout the hotel. For those looking to explore Paris or discover its hidden gems, the hotel offers a variety of tours that highlight the city’s wonderful attractions.
For more hotel suggestions in Paris, check out our previous blog on the best luxury hotels in Paris to make you feel like a local.
Our Favorite Family Activities in Paris
Take some time to explore all Paris offers while participating in exciting activities. Some of our favorite family-friendly experiences include:
- Discover the Catacombs – The Catacombs of Paris are an underground labyrinth of eerie passageways and eerie chambers. Located beneath the city, they are a network of tunnels that contain the remains of more than 6 million people. The Catacombs host visitors from around the world who come to explore its dark depths and contemplate the history it holds within. Visitors can learn about Paris’ past, as well as its art, culture, and architecture. From time to time, explorers have even discovered artifacts such as jewelry, coins and other items still in their original condition. These mysterious networks have become a popular tourist attraction for those looking for something different than what is typically offered in Paris. Book a small group special access tour of the Catacombs and Crypts to skip the line!
- Solve a mystery at the Louvre – Taking the family to the Louvre for a fun and educational mystery tour is a great way to explore the world’s largest art museum. There are various ways of participating in this activity, depending on the ages of your children. Still, the goal is to find your way around as quickly as possible while trying to uncover historical secrets within each painting. Along with exploring history and art, this adventure also provides an opportunity for teamwork and even competition between family members! Book a private tour of the Louvre to ensure the museum is a highlight of your family itinerary to Paris and the French Riviera.
- Cycling in Versailles and Painting With Monet at Giverny. Start the day with a visit to Versailles, where you can cycle through its gardens and watch spectacular fountain shows. A day trip to Versailles is a great way to explore the French countryside while taking in some amazing sights the palace and gardens offer. One of our favorite experiences for families in Versailles is to enjoy a leisurely bike ride through the manicured gardens full of beautiful fountains, statues, and flowers. As you make your way around, keep an eye open for special events such as musical entertainment or theatrical performances within the gardens. Afterward, marvel at stunning works of art inside Versailles Palace, including the iconic Hall of Mirrors and stately sculptures. Make sure to catch the spectacular fountain show on the terrace in front of the palace before heading on to Giverny.
- Explore the gardens of Giverny, where you and your family can paint together in the gardens of Claude Monet’s home. Make your way to this colorful paradise, located around 50 miles northwest of Paris, where you can wander through Monet’s garden and take in stunningly beautiful views of the surrounding countryside. Along with exploring nature, take a guided tour of Monet’s house and studio for an up-close look at his artwork. You can also shop for souvenirs or have lunch at one of the many quaint cafés nearby!
- Climb to the summit of the iconic Eiffel Tower and take in breathtaking views of Paris by taking the stairs! The journey is worth every step, as you take in the stunning 360-degree view of the city. The stairs are open to visitors, and those who make it to the top will be rewarded with an unforgettable experience. Make sure to bring plenty of water and snacks for the younger ones. While you’re guaranteed to work up a bit of sweat – it’s a fantastic adventure that can’t be missed! For the ultimate experience, book dinner at the Eiffel Tower followed by a Seine River cruise.
- Take a pasty tour or enjoy a family baking class to sample the best desserts in Paris! From delightful croissants to creamy chocolates, let your taste buds discover all that the City of Lights offers. Whether you’re a pastry enthusiast or just looking for a new experience, you won’t regret taking this sweet journey. Not only will you get to sample delicious treats, but you’ll also learn more about French culture and its incredible culinary history. Get ready for an unforgettable experience!
- Explore the beauty of Paris’s gardens at leisure. From the lush greenery of the Tuileries garden to the enchanting Parc des Buttes Chaumont, there are plenty of places to bring out your inner child. Pack a picnic with fresh cheese, bread, and a bottle of wine, take a leisurely stroll to find the perfect grassy knoll, and watch the kids enjoy la belle vie while making new friends and picking up a few words in French. With something for everyone, these beautiful outdoor areas will make your visit to Paris even more special and memorable.
- Private boat tour on the Seine – Although most visitors pile in on one of the many large boats that float along the Seine, we recommend you splurge and take in the sights of Paris on your own private boat! With charming views of the city’s grand architecture and unique landmarks, you’ll experience all Paris offers while enjoying a glass of wine and sparkling juice for the kids. The river’s gentle flow will make for an incredibly peaceful ride as you glide past historical monuments and buzzing neighborhoods. Enjoy unparalleled access to Paris from a different perspective, and admire this incredible city’s beauty without worrying about crowds.
- Mother-Daughter Shopping Experience. Make your Paris trip extra special with a private shopping experience for mothers and daughters! This exclusive occasion will allow you and your mother to bond in style. From browsing the chic boutiques of St Germain des Pres to visiting designer flagship stores, Paris offers something for every taste and budget. Enjoy insider access to exclusive Parisian labels, and find special pieces that capture the essence of your trip. With VIP treatments such as champagne and chocolates, this unique experience will be unforgettable.
- French Revolution for little historians. If your kids love learning history, a tour of France’s infamous revolution is a must on your itinerary to Paris and the French Riviera. Follow your intriguing guide as he takes you on a journey through the most iconic landmarks in Paris that date back to the years of the French Revolution. History gurus must consider staying at one of the best hotels in France for history lovers.
- Place de la Concorde – This public square was once called Place de la Revolution and was home to the guillotine during the Reign of Terror. Today, it remains one of the most important public spaces in Paris.
- Palais Royal – Tour the royal palace and gardens, where Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette stayed during the summer. Discover its secret passageways and marvel at the 18th century architecture.
- Champs-Elysées – One of the most famous avenues in Paris, it was also known as the Road to Versailles during the revolution. Take a stroll along this iconic avenue and learn about its history from your guide.
- Tuileries Palace – It was here at this 500-year-old palace that Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette were famously held captive during the revolution. But did she really say, “let them eat cake?”
- Eglise Saint-Roch – This church contains some of Jacques de Lajoue’s original paintings depicting scenes from the French Revolution, including one showing the storming of the Bastille.
- Champ de Mars – A crucial site for mob gatherings during turbulent times, this vast park is also known for its striking views of the Eiffel Tower.
- Watch a soccer game in Paris. If you have spent the better part of your children’s childhood circumventing your hometown from practice to tournaments to support your budding Messi, you know that Paris is home to some of the best soccer teams in the world. Here are a few of the most well-known teams playing in France’s capital. Check the schedule and purchase your tickets to enjoy an unforgettable afternoon of sports and fun.
- Paris Saint Germain (PSG) – Founded in 1970, this team is part of the Ligue 1 and plays its games at Parc des Princes. It has won 41 titles and numerous domestic cups.
- Red Star FC – This French professional club plays in Ligue 2, and its home is Stade Bauer. It was founded over 100 years ago and remains one of the hippest and oldest clubs in Paris
For more inspiration on how to spend you family time in Paris, check out our one week Paris itinerary for families.
Discover The French Riviera
After spending 4 days exploring the beauty and culture of Paris, it’s time to fly to Nice and discover the magnificent French Riviera. We recommend basing yourself in a family-friendly hotel in Nice for 5 nights and discovering the region on foot, by boat and by car. Make sure to take some time exploring the charming streets of old Nice while tasting local produce in the bustling daily market of Cours Saleya. Some of Nice’s more famous sights are also the most family-friendly! This makes for a the perfect addition to any 10 day itinerary to Paris and the French Riviera.
Promenade des Anglais: Take a stroll along the sun-drenched seaside boardwalk and admire breathtaking views of the Mediterranean Sea.
Chagall Museum: Marvel at masterpieces from famous artist Marc Chagall in this art museum full of color and creativity.
Colline du Château (Castle Hill): Climb up this hilltop park to take in sweeping views of the Riviera coastline or just relax in its gardens – it’s a great spot for a sunset picnic!
The Castle of Nice is a 17th-century fortification built by the Duke of Savoy on the Colline du Château (Castle Hill) in Nice. The castle was originally a defensive structure to guard against invasion from the sea. The castle boasts impressive architectural features, such as an angled wall with five towers, each topped with terracotta tiles and adorned with intricate carvings. Inside the castle walls, visitors can explore its many chambers and galleries that hold artifacts from different periods of Nice’s history.
Best Family-Friendly Day Trips From Nice
- Take a day trip to Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat & Monaco – Explore glamorous Cap Ferrat and the luxurious tiny country of Monaco on a day trip from Nice. Saint Jean Cap Ferrat is a beautiful destination for families. With its picturesque beaches and stunning views of the Mediterranean, it’s easy to see why so many billionaires and celebrities have built their mansions here. This is a must on any family itinerary to Paris and the French Riviera.
- Monaco is a principality located on the Mediterranean Sea that is renowned for its beauty, culture, and luxury. Wander the exotic streets of Monte-Carlo, which offer visitors a chance to explore magical palaces and grand casinos. Take a tour of the Prince’s Palace, where you can see stately rooms and gardens decorated with incredible frescoes. Then visit the Oceanographic Museum, one of the largest aquariums in Europe, which offers a unique look at aquatic life from around the world. Unique architecture, like churches, mansions, and villas, line Monaco’s streets. Visit St Nicholas Cathedral for breathtaking views from its terrace or take a stroll through La Condamine for traditional Provençal houses. Spend an afternoon at Larvotto Beach, where you can sunbathe on the golden sand.
- Private yacht adventure along the riviera with snorkeling. Enjoy a private boat ride along the French Riviera! This exclusive adventure is perfect for exploring some of the classic beauty of the Cote d’Azur. Immerse yourself in an unforgettable experience, taking in picturesque sights and embracing the beauty and glamour of the region. Along your journey, you’ll also find plenty of opportunities to relax and unwind on board while the captain regales the kids with tales of pirates, intrigue and mystery. If visiting in the summer, stopping off at secret coves for a swim is an absolute must. Let the waves carry you away but make sure the kids wear life jackets. This experience is sure to be a highlight on your family itinerary to Paris and the French Riviera.
- Medieval Adventure to Eze and Saint Paul de Vence. The magnificent village of Eze dates back to the middle ages but continues to offer breathtaking views of the Riviera. Here, you’ll explore fascinating botanical gardens and learn about the country’s famous perfumes. Then, continue your adventure in picturesque St. Paul de Vence, an old fortified village set atop a hilltop renowned for its Provençal charm and impressive fortress. Surrounded by stunning mountain scenery, this town is home to various art galleries and unique boutiques.
- Enjoy a day trip to the beautiful Lerins Islands! Situated just off Cannes, the islands of Saint Honorat and Sainte Marguerite offer a unique experience away from mainland France. Families with children of all ages love to explore the fantastic beaches and take in a variety of breathtaking sites. Uncover secret coves, wander through ancient abbeys, visit tranquil forests and even snorkel along coral reefs in crystal-clear waters. There’s something for the whole family on this picturesque day out!
- Create your own scent in Grasse, the perfume capital of the world! This picturesque town is home to some of the most famous perfumes, from Chanel No. 5 to Dior Eau Sauvage. On a visit here, you’ll be able to learn about the craft of making perfume and even create your own fragrance by mixing essential oils and natural fragrances. Take away an exceptional souvenir from this memorable day trip!
Best Family-Friendly Hotels in Nice and the French Riviera:
- In Nice we recommend the beautiful Hotel Negresco, whose art collection alone can entertain and inspire young minds for hours.
- The Hyatt Regency Palais de la Mediterranee in Nice is a grand art-deco dame that has welcomed families for over 90 years.
- Looking for something a bit more refined? Consider basing yourself in Cannes at the Martinez Hotel. This opulent 5-star hotel with impeccable modern design and luxurious amenities is a hit with parents and children alike. Relax at the state-of-the-art spa, enjoy a gourmet meal at one of the four onsite restaurants, or take a dip in the inviting outdoor pool.
With this perfect 10-day itinerary to Paris and the French Riviera, your family will have an unforgettable experience! With just enough time for sightseeing and activities, you’ll leave with fond memories that will last a lifetime.
Boutique Travel Advisors is a full-service, luxury travel agency. We specialize in creating bespoke itineraries for discerning clients around the world. Please visit our website or call 480-787-1477 to speak with a dedicated travel expert.
Are you planning an international or domestic trip? Check out our other articles to help you come prepared!
We highly recommend the purchase of travel insurance to protect your financial investment and health while traveling internationally. To purchase a policy with our preferred travel insurance company Chubb click here.
At this time, anyone that resides in CA, CO, KS, MN, MO, MT, NH, NY, PA, TX or WA is unable to purchase an insurance policy online. If you would like assistance purchasing a travel insurance policy, please get in touch with a BTA advisor.